Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Cut to Quick

This day felt like nothing was getting accomplished, other than finally getting a haircut. So I cheated tonight and grabbed a quick precut kit for a charity quilt. My friend Susan made kits for me out of old scraps and stash when she was helping me clean out the "Back Room" at the shop. Other friends have helped me sew them up, but I still have a box full. It's actually nice to have them ready to sew.

This one is made up of 5"x 9 1/2" and 3 1/2"x 9 1/2". It takes 20 of the 5" and 30 of the 3 1/2". There are 10 of each of the 2 Rail and 3 Rail. The blocks finish 9"--the top is 36"x 45" before borders, a nice 45"x 54" with a 5" border.
If you are looking to bust that stash, these chunky sizes are wonderful. I cut almost all of my scraps into 5"x 9 1/2" now, and plan to play with many more variations.

I did manage to quilt the Cottage Chic from the House collection by Annette Tatum. This variation is in pink and green, in the Just Let it Be pattern, that friend Dorothy pieced for a kit sample. I bound it too, along with 2 others. Check the great back I found for the coral and fushia Kaffe Fassett. It came from Grandma Pam's stash. I have a feeling it was going to be a little granddaughter's dress--said granddaughter is turning 24 this week.

After a couple cool nights, I pulled out a quilt for the bed. New Quilt=Instant Cat. At least the cat matches the orange quilt.
Today's best....trying a new style with a new stylist.

No comments:

Post a Comment