Monday, September 28, 2009

Cool Down

It finally cooled down to the 80's today. Another good excuse not to leave the hilltop. A great day to cut kits, work on web listings, and finally sew a bit. And breathe.

Tonight I added the top and bottom border to the Floragraphix stripes--big improvement.















Since I wanted to try a little variation on the block, I pulled some Garden Party. It sewed up so fast, too. I am piecing and laying out following a formula, for those of us who struggle with the random concept. I like Take 2, but I may still do a Take 3 as well. I should do all of this on EQ6 first, but I can sew so much faster, and I just design better with the real thing.

So the Bare Roots on Take 2: From each of the 6 Fat Quarters cut 2 9 1/2" x 8", 4 5"x 4", and 2 9 1/2"x 4". Decide on an order for the 6 fabrics, and number them. Conveniently, there are some nice little pieces from the cuttings. I laid them out on my window sill, right in front of the machine, and near my notes. Pair up and sew the 5"x4" along the 4" side. Make 2 combos each: 1-2, 2-3,3-4,4-5,5-6,6-1. Sew 2 blocks with a #1 8" on top, 2-3 in the middle, 4" #4 on the bottom. Then sew 2 blocks with a #2 8" on top, 3-4 in the middle, 4" #5 on the bottom. Continue on in the same fashion to complete the 12 blocks.
Blocks are labeled by the large piece on top. Row one is 4,2,6,5. Row two is 1,5,3,1. Row three is 6,4,2,3. The stripe theme fabric should be cut at least as long as the rows, which theoretically are 58 1/2" at this point. Cutting them 60" or the entire 1 3/4 yd, 63" is a better idea. Cut 6 strips 7" wide, but measure your fabric width first--if it doesn't look like you have a generous 42" to work with, cut the strips 6 3/4 or even 6 1/2". Sew 4 strips down the length on the sides of the patchwork rows, then add the last 2 to the top and bottom. Select and place the strips so they look balanced. (I did that on the Floragraphix--failed to do that on Garden Party, and wished that I had).
















Today's best....real September weather and no air conditioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment