Thursday, November 12, 2009

Catching Up

Taking trips always means prep and pack before, then regroup and unpack after. Last weekend was mostly making last minute packets of some favorite fabrics to take to King City. I took a little break with the gardener husband to consult on some plant buying, not that he needs my help to buy plants. I have accused him of acting like a quilter. We have 6 acres of trees, and what are we out buying? Trees--because he wants some different colors. So here we are, using the Utility function of our SUV. Oh, and I had to sit in the back seat, to make room for the tall trees.

This is the gardener's stash...our marshaling yard while he plans and grades the landscape for planting.






I had an easy drive down the King City--glad to find that it doesn't take too long to get down to the central coast area. Guild member Suzi offered her wonderful hospitality and lovely home. She has a fabulous sewing room added on to her house--a great place for her and the 8 grandkids to create and enjoy each other's company. Suzi, I enjoyed getting to know you. Thanks again, and I am looking forward to seeing you at some future event.

The Valley Heritage Guild gave me a very warm reception, with loads of help hauling my show and shop to and from the car. They were very generous with their thanks the ideas and patterns I passed along. What a wonderful community they have in King City.

Tuesday was my day to play in Monterey Peninsula. After lunch at my favorite Monterey restaurant, Rosine's, I had to walk it off by shopping. Pacific Grove is home to one of the best quilt shops, Back Porch Fabrics. I even bumped into customers from the valley there. It is such a great place to go, both Back Porch and the Monterey area in general, running into people I know has happened more than once.

The best thing about shopping this time of year, is that you can use Christmas shopping as an excuse. And I did. I honestly did get a great start on Christmas in all of my stops. It is so much better to shop for fun and just happen upon something perfect for somebody, rather than have to shop with a specific goal or item in mind. Is that the treasure hunter in us or just the love of discovery?

I cover a lot of ground when I am by myself. In total for the day, I went to downtown Monterey and Pacific Grove, drove along the ocean, shopped in Carmel, and stopped at the Gilroy outlets on the way home to Grandma Pam's in Turlock where I spent the night.



The best new find for me was Findings--a Sewing Emporium in Carmel. Nancy King-Monk has been there with this treasure of a shop for 8 years. I was there with my shop during half of that time--how shop-bound I was. This little shop is a wonder of a French-style sewing shop--a little of this, a little of that--trims, buttons, fabric, patterns, handmades--something new at every turn around the store.So I'm back home again, posting some new items on the web site, quilting and sewing. I made a Patty Cakes from the scrap drawer. This one alternates a common background fabric--I like this variation and I need to have a nice sample of it.I do think a couple new trees have been added to the staging area, but I can't be sure. He did admit to planting some wildflower seeds.

Today's best....recollecting my terrific trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment