Saturday, January 16, 2010

Quilting and Comedy

I took a road trip to Turlock yesterday, shopping my way down and back.  Scored at the 70% off racks at Coldwater Creek.  Saw quilting friends Kim, Dorothy, and even ran into Cookie at the Apple store--great minds and all.  And visited Grandma Pam--sorted some of her quilts that will be up for sale at the Turlock show.

Trees are all planted, and we're enjoying the last of the sunshine for a while--rain for a week is forecast.  






Today I finished off a few things I have been working on for the last few days.  One is a little flannel baby quilt, to be donated, from some leftover 5" squares.  Actually the patchwork was done--just needed a border and finishing, which I did.  BUSTED:  leftover top, the border and binding fabric, batting scrap pieced, back--all completely gone.









Finished off most of the Hawaiian fabric pieces with this latest version of the Take 5  5".  It is only 12 blocks--extremely fast, and the border lets the patchwork breathe. 12 blocks is barely more than half the work of making 20.  With the border, it finished up a very nice 53"x68".  BUSTED:  nearly all of the Hawaiian prints, the border and binding fabric totally gone.

 Then I have another variation of the Band Block.  It is still dark and light blocks alternated, but both have a contrast on the end.  I was going for the red, white and blue theme here.  And in this one I used 3" cut band pieces--from leftover bindings.  I like the size it finished--51x62.  It would have been bigger, but I only had enough for a 4" border.  I'm very happy with the look of this version.  BUSTED:  Slices of 5x9. binding scraps, border fabric gone, binding scraps for the binding.


Today's best....a fun show in town with political comedian Will Durst.

No comments:

Post a Comment