Sunday, December 13, 2009

One quilt leads to another

I moved out of the antique mall on Thursday...still trying to find places to put the stuff I brought back. At least the shelving unit is helping me organize the kitchen office wall.

It's been raining almost solid since then, so I have been at home sorting and sewing. One thing leads to another in the sewing department.

I pulled out a charity kit--what I call 16 Squared. It's made from 16 2 1/2" strips and 15 8 1/2" squares. The strips are sewn in 4 sets of 4, then made into 16 16 patch blocks. Alternate 15 of the patch blocks with the squares in a 5 x 6 layout.




Except that I had 20 strips, and only 15 squares, so I had sections leftover after making 15 blocks. I can't toss them, and don't need another UFO, so I must make another Patty Cakes variation. I used 2 sections together instead of a slice, and cut my 5"x9" slices down to 8 1/2" tall, and I had a nifty little quilt. I like how the little pieces look in their little columns. And it doesn't matter that the columns are a different width than the slices--it all still fits. I'll have to try this again with some other leftovers.
Trying to clean up the worktable, I didn't get very far. Some trimmings from the back of the purple City Girls quilt needed to be cut up and made into another little quilt. It is such a perfect background shade, I cut the scraps into spacer strips for a Patty Cakes. Then I pulled 5"x9" slices from the drawers, anything with purple. Every other row has the spacer on the right or left. And this time I didn't trim the rows so the spacer would be centered over the slice--I just let them be with a little jog. I like this variation, too--and how good the purples look together for total scraps. I know, I know, you purple people out there would just tell me--DUH, of course they look good together.









Today's best....watching the rain and finishing little quilts that I like.

No comments:

Post a Comment