Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Community Service=Design Ideas

One thing leads to another when you start playing with quilt design.  I think this is especially true when making do.  The first quilt here is one made from a bag of salesmen sample fabric pieces from the Valley Quilt Guild.  I like to use every inch of fabric provided, which was the 30's prints and some backing flannel.  So I decided to cut the pieces 6 1/2" x 12 1/2", and even piece a few as needed--the samples were a irregular in length, though they were the same width.  Then I went to my box of old solid scraps, used up a few (yeay!), and added a 3 1/2"x 6 1/2" piece to each end of the rectangles.  With a little math ahead of time, I figured this would all come out fairly close to a throw size.  30 blocks, 18"x6" finished, laid out 3x10--and here we have a 54"x60" quilt.  I added a scrap of flannel I had from back trimmings, and added a racing stripe to make the donated lavendar flannel big enough for the back.  And it was all finished with binding scraps.  Win-Win-Win--I used all of the donated fabric, used up some of my scraps, and have a new design idea.


So I took this design idea, and used it with my 5"x9" slices.  The idea here was that I wanted to make a quilt top to fit a piece of guild batting that was leftover--how frugal can you get?  Here I have 30 5"x9", and I cut 20  5"x9" down to a total of 60 3"x9" of a different color.  Same plan, adding the little pieces to the ends and sewing these blocks into the same 3x10 layout, so it finished 41"x45".  I like the effect of what looks like 4 patches going down in columns.  It was fun and fast again,  and I used up some 5"x9" slices, and some Grandma Pam back and binding fabric--and the leftover piece of batting, of course.

So what's next?--let me see how this design works using 10" squares or Fat Quarters......

No comments:

Post a Comment